Paul Joseph Corso, MD
Paul Joseph Corso, MD, specializes in Cardiovascular Surgery. Dr. Corso is the director of Cardiac Surgery at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. Prior to those appointments, Dr. Corso was a consultant in Thoracic Surgery for the United States Air Force at Andrews Air Force Base.
Dr. Corso has held many administrative posts at the Hospital Center including the Medical Board, Executive Committee of the Medical Board, Board of Trustees, the Surgical Advisory Committee, and the Washington Heart & Vascular Institute Board, among other committees. Dr. Corso is a former vice-president of the Medical Board and chairman of the Credentials Committee. In addition to these responsibilities, Dr. Corso has served on many other committees within the MedStar Healthcare Group.
Dr. Corso is currently a clinical professor of Surgery at Georgetown University Medical Center as well as a professor of Surgery at The George Washington University Medical Center.
Dr. Corso publishes and lectures extensively in his field. His repertoire includes more than 60 scientific presentation and more than 80 publications.
- BA, The George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, D.C., 1962 – 1965
- MD, The George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, D.C., 1965 – 1969
- The George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, D.C., 1969 – 1974
- Junior Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgical Resident The George Washington University Medical Center - 1974 -1975
- Chief Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgical Resident - The George Washington University Medical Center - 1975-1976
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery with all current recertifications
Honors, Awards, & Society Memberships
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Medical Society of the District of Columbia
- American Medical Association
- District of Columbia Thoracic Society
- American College of Chest Physicians
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Southeastern Surgical Society
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
Additional Training, Education, & Research
Dr. Corso’s research posts include:
- Surgical Investigator, PARTNER Trial, Washington Hospital Center
- Principal Investigator, NIH Cardiac Surgical Research Grant Submission
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board for Robotics Surgery, Intuitive Surgical, Inc.
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board for Minimally Invasive Beating Heart Bypass Surgery, Cardio Thoracic Systems, Inc.