Benefits of Robotic Surgery
Robotic surgery offers many benefits to our patients. These include:
- More precise surgery
- Shorter recovery
- Greater dexterity for the surgeon's hands and wrists
At MedStar Washington Hospital Center, your surgical team will explain all the details of your procedure to you. Meet our robotic surgeons and learn more about our robotic specialties.
Robotic Surgery Benefits: The Patient's View
During a robotic surgery procedure, your surgeon is in control the entire time. The robotic instruments respond to your surgeon's hand movements. There are many benefits of robotic surgery compared to traditional surgery.
- More precise surgery. Often, your surgeon needs to operate near healthy, sensitive organs, tissues and nerves. The goal of surgery is to remove the abnormality without affecting surrounding healthy structures. The small size and flexibility of the robotic instruments makes this easier to do.
- Less risk of infection and blood loss. Your surgeon makes tiny incisions rather than large ones, lowering the risk of infection or blood loss.
- Earlier discharge from the hospital. Generally, patients can go home earlier following a robotic surgery, sometimes even the next day.
- Shorter recovery. The smaller incisions also mean that your recovery period is shorter. Sometimes, recovery may last just a few days.
|Your surgeon has increased visualization and flexibility of movement using a robotic surgical system.
Robotic surgery benefits: The doctor's view
Our surgeons benefit from the sophisticated technology of a robotic surgical procedure. This leads to a more precise surgery for you.
The robotic surgery system offers our surgeons:
- Enhanced visual field. At the console, your surgeon has a superior view of the operating area. The high-definition camera provides a magnified, detailed view of the affected area. Your surgeon can see the microscopic structures more clearly, leading to a more precise surgery.
- Superior dexterity. A human hand can only move so much. But the robotic instrument exceeds the dexterity and range of motion of the human hand. The arms can rotate a full 360 degrees. This allows your surgeon to operate in a way that would be impossible without the robot.
- Access to hard-to-reach places. The enhanced flexibility and precision of the robot allows your surgeon to access hard-to-reach areas. This means surgeons can treat more conditions with robotic surgery.
For more information about robotic surgery, contact us at 202-877-DOCS (3627), or at MedStarWashington.org/doctorsline for further information.
Request an Appointment