David Downing, MD
Selected as one of Washingtonian's Top Doctors, 2012
David Downing, MD, is a senior faculty physician at MedStar Washington Hospital Center and has special interest in providing care for high-risk pregnancies and for fetuses with known anomalies, conducting prenatal evaluations and performing minimally-invasive gynecological surgery. Dr. Downing's expertise is called upon when pregnancies involving neonates with serious congenital malformations require collaboration between MedStar Washington Hospital Center and Children's National Medical Center.
Dr. Downing received his medical degree from New York Medical College and completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. He is an APOG/Solvay Scholars Program graduate and authored his thesis on “The development and implementation of a geriatrics curriculum for Ob/Gyn residencies.”
Dr. Downing’s research has included:
- Development of a geriatrics core curriculum for residencies
- Management of laparoscopic incisional hernias
- Imaging and radiology of acute osteomyelitis in children
- Effects of methylene diphosphonate on the tissue distribution of gallium-67.
Honors, Awards, and Society Membership
Dr. Downing’s awards include:
- Association of Professors of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Educational Development Scholarship (2000)
- CREOG National Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education (1997)
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center Teacher of the Year Award (1996)
- Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Teacher of the Year Award (1996/1998/2000/2001/2004/2006)
Dr. Downing is a member of the following medical associations:
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Council on Residency Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Dr. Downing holds an appointment as Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences.
- Board Certified, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery
- Care of fetuses with known anomalies
- Care of neonates with serious congenital malformations
- Prenatal evaluations
Where to go from here?Previous Topic: Lorraine Gillian, MD
Next Topic: Renuka Darolia, MD
Scroll to Top
Back to Home