Department of Continuing Medical Education & Quality Training
MedStar Washington Hospital Center has received an accreditation with commendation as a provider of continuing medical education by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME). This Level 3 accreditation means that MedStar Washington Hospital Center is among the top eight percent of providers of continuing medical education in the United States, and in the top tier of all CME providers. We are pleased to be part of a group of organizations in the United States, including major medical schools, medical societies, hospitals and other medical education organizations that have been awarded this special accreditation status.
The Department of Continuing Medical Education & Quality Training operates on the premise that Continuing Medical Education is essential and indispensible and that it is our responsibility to create the conditions that assure a successful CME program. We can assist in the development of precise and attractive educational materials, engagement of expert speakers, and design and delivery of a program that will be instructive, enlightening, authoritative, and creditable.
ACCME accreditation seeks to assure both physicians and the public that continuing medical education activities sponsored by MedStar Washington Hospital Center meet the high standards of the Essentials Areas and Criteria for Accreditation of the ACCME. The ACCME rigorously evaluates the overall continuing medical education programs of institutions according to standards adopted by all seven sponsoring organizations of the ACCME: the American Board of Medical Specialties, the American Hospital Association, the American Medical Association, the Association for Hospital Medical Education, the Association of American Medical Colleges, the Council of Medical Specialty Societies, and the Federation of State Medical Boards. MedStar Washington Hospital Center is pleased to be part of a group of organizations in the United States, including major medical schools, medical societies, hospitals and other medical education organizations that have been awarded this special accreditation status.
Physicians and other medical professionals need opportunities to learn about the latest medical developments and conceptualize how best to incorporate them into their practices in order to improve quality of care and patient safety. As part of our mission we advocate and support the continuing professional development of health care professionals and their commitment to lifelong learning. We offer a full range of educational experiences that enhance the practitioner's knowledge base and competence, provide updates and review, and expand professional skills.
With a resume listing hundreds of successful educational programs, we manage more than 150 days of educational conferences per year, for groups of 25 to 1,500 attendees. These include regularly scheduled grand rounds and specialty/subspecialty conferences, special activities and online learning.
We have earned our reputation by successfully managing continuing medical education course content, meeting logistics and registration data while providing outstanding customer service and impeccable attention to detail. We manage every aspect of the event management process: site selection, planning, registration, housing, financial controls, customer service, data and logistical management.
Our meeting planning team interacts regularly with world-renowned research institutions and conference faculty. We deliver high quality conference management, which allows you to relax as we coordinate every aspect of the conference.
Educational Program Development and Management
- Consult with conference Activity Course Director(s) to analyze gaps in physician knowledge, identify needs and establish educational objectives and goals to create an effective agenda
- Provide guidance on ACCME Essential Areas and Policies
- Provide guidance during the CME application process for special activities, regularly scheduled series (RSS) and enduring materials
- Provide guidance regarding CME requirements for activity administration
- Maintain CME planning minutes.
- Consult with the Activity Course Director(s) to prepare the necessary materials and requirements to obtain program review and approval for Category 1 Continuing Medical Education credits for physicians
- Provide certificates of attendance for all participants and Category 1 CME certificates for physicians
Conference and Attendee Logistics
- Locate, negotiate and contract with a premium conference facility or hotel for meeting space, audiovisual support, food and beverage, guest rooms and all related functions and events
- Locate, negotiate and contract with one additional hotel for moderately priced sleeping rooms (optional)
- Coordinate all food and beverage functions including space requirements, physical set-up, menu selection and decorations
- Coordinate all social events for faculty, attendees and guests including site selection, budget, menu selection, transportation, promotion and RSVPs
- Coordinate all aspects of symposia production including invitations, transportation, food and beverage and entertainment
- Attend site visit, pre-conference and post-conference meetings with hotel personnel
- Manage registration set-up, meeting room configuration, audiovisual equipment, signage and technical support
- Arrange Speaker Ready Room
- Manage conference planning for special events or activities
- Manage all on-site activities including meeting space, audiovisual equipment and support, transportation and catering
- Manage budgets, and disburse catering and production expense payment to all outside vendors
- Prepare copy for all written correspondence and materials
- Send faculty invitations which will include demographic confirmation, speaker attendance, responsibilities, honoraria and procedure for travel reimbursement
- Collect and compile all CME information and pertinent materials for inclusion in conference syllabus
- Arrange travel, hotel lodging and ground transportation for faculty
- Prepare and distribute faculty honoraria and out-of-pocket travel reimbursements
- Collect and compile registrations for attendees, faculty and exhibitors via conference website, mail, email or fax. Database development and management includes tracking of healthcare professional attendee's name, address, phone, fax, email and event attendance.
- Design, produce and distribute pre-program materials (i.e., confirmation letters, directions, etc.)
- Confirm all attendees by faxing, emailing or mailing confirmation letters
- Provide on-site registration of all registrants to include pre-printed badges
- Provide a report of confirmed registrations on a routine basis to the Activity Course Director(s)
Creative Design and Production Services
- Develop and implement a promotional plan for audience generation, to include direct mail, internet marketing, journal listings and ads which will maximize conference exposure within your marketing budget
- Review and approve all CME promotional materials and assistance regarding marketing for CME activities
- Design, develop and maintain a conference web site, which provides conference information and online registration
- Create, produce and distribute conference marketing brochure
- Coordinate mailing lists and mail process, including coordination of e-marketing solutions
- Develop, design and produce meeting logo, title slides and housekeeping announcement slides
- Design and produce all program collateral materials to include hotel welcome letter, program folders, final scientific program agenda, evaluation forms, name badges, signs (directional and podium) syllabi and other conference related materials for all meeting participants
- Collect and format scientific information for inclusion in the conference materials
Industry Development/Exhibit Management
- Identify and assist with obtaining commercial support through educational grant requests and exhibitor solicitation
- Facilitate procurement of educational grants by sending proper correspondence, maintaining database and completing all ACCME required paperwork
- Coordinate exhibition including floor plans, freight, signage as well as exhibitor registration, set-up, billing, collections, and post conference follow-up
- Prepare appropriate recognition of commercial support
- Maintain CME documentation for commercial support
Scientific Abstract Presentations
- Manage online abstract submissions, review and grading, notification of acceptance and publication
- Coordinate abstract poster presentations
- Prepare and distribute final attendee report and final budget to Course Directors
- Prepare and distribute Final Activity report to Course Directors and CME provider
- Prepare summary of meeting evaluations and distribute to Course Directors
- Maintain honoraria and expense reimbursement payment records to meet federal requirements and issue 1099s to faculty as required by law
- Prepare final budget reconciliation
- Prepare CME Quarterly and Final Activity Reports
Where to go from here?Previous Topic: CME Programs
Next Topic: CME Planning
Scroll to Top
Back to Home