About Our Center
The Burn Center at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the only adult burn treatment center in the Washington metropolitan area. This 20-bed facility features a multidisciplinary team approach to burn care that provides comprehensive care for burn victims.
Surgical Burn Treatment
All surgical burn treatment, if necessary, is performed in a special area within the Burn Intensive Care Unit. Reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation are available for patients in the post-acute and convalescent phases, regardless of where they received treatment for their acute burns.
Intermediate Care Unit
A 15-bed Burn Rehabilitation/Intermediate Care Unit provides nursing care and rehabilitation therapy for noncritical burn-injured patients and critically injured patients who have progressed to the post-acute phase of care.
Patients with truly minor burns, not requiring hospitalization, are provided with outpatient wound care and rehabilitation through the Burn Center clinic.
According to the American Burn Association, a qualified burn center must have the following criteria:
- A medical and an administrative commitment to the care of patients with burns
- Written guidelines for the triage, treatment, and transfer of burned patients from other facilities
- Maintain current accreditation by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
Further qualifications include:
- Burn surgeons are trained in General Surgery with a burn, trauma, or critical care fellowship
- Burn nurses receive practical training
- Burn therapists are graduates from a physical therapy or occupational therapy program and are trained by an experienced burn therapist
- Dieticians and social workers are trained with their degree, and are also trained by a member of the burn center team
Where to go from here?Previous Topic: Our Team
Inside About Our Center: Criteria for referral
Inside About Our Center: Overview of treatment
Next Topic: About Burns
Scroll to Top
Back to Home