Gamma Knife Radiation Treatment
MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the only hospital in the Washington, D.C. area to offer Gamma Knife® radiosurgery treatment, one of the most highly effective radiation options available.
Gamma Knife Radiation Therapy for Brain Tumors
Despite its name, Gamma Knife is not a knife at all, and does not involve any surgery.
Used primarily for brain tumors, Gamma Knife is a machine that works with imaging technology, to deliver high doses of radiation to a precise location without affecting surrounding healthy tissue. The technology is as precise and effective as surgery, but is completely non-invasive.
The benefits of Gamma Knife include:
- Safety – Gamma Knife eliminates the complications, risks and recovery time that come with traditional brain surgery.
- Accuracy – Gamma Knife uses imaging technology to focus thousands of tiny radiation beams at the precise location of your brain tumor. Specialized equipment keeps your head steady during the procedure so radiation only targets your cancer, not healthy tissue.
- Speed and Efficacy – Gamma Knife delivers a dose of radiation high enough so that, generally, only one session is necessary. You can go home the day of the treatment, and do not need to return for multiple appointments.
- Minimal Side Effects – Since Gamma Knife spares healthy tissue, you experience much fewer side effects from treatment.
Gamma Knife Radiation at Washington Cancer Institute
At Washington Cancer Institute, our multidisciplinary team of radiation oncology specialists has the extensive skills and experience using Gamma Knife that every cancer patient needs.
We also offer our patients:
- A Gamma Knife facility custom-designed to offer patients easy access, comfort and convenience.
- One-to-one nursing care from the moment you arrive until your procedure is finished and you are discharged.
For more information or appointments, please call 202-877-DOCS (3627).
Where to go from here?Previous Topic: Trilogy™ - Radiation Oncology
Next Topic: Brachytherapy
Scroll to Top
Back to Home